Important Phone Numbers

We strive to offer comprehensive lists of all the numbers our citizens may need.….from Jefferson Parish Councilmen’s offices, Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office to general Jefferson Parish numbers if you need to register a complaint or have a questions.

Remember, our Sheriff’s office encourages our citizens to always call 911 if you see any suspicious people or activities. The police cannot be everywhere at once, so it is up to us to keep a diligent watch in our neighborhoods.

Need a specific department in Jefferson Parish government? Jefferson Parish does a good job of keeping this up to date:

or do you need to contact one of the Coucil member's office (note: Waggaman is in Dictrict 3):

Need the name of a government official? Check out Jefferson Parish’s listing:

Code Enforcement Information

The following information was provided to us by Department of Code Enforcement. It is always a good idea though to check the parish’s website at to make sure that all the information is current.….never know when they will change a law on us!

Bureau of Administrative Adjudication

  • Westbank Office
  • 802 Huey P. Long Ave
  • Sal Liberto Building — 1st Floor
  • Gretna, LA 70053
  • Telephone: (504) 365‑3393
  • FAX: (504) 365‑3397

Department of Inspection and Code Enforcement (Westbank numbers)

Building Section 364‑3500 Permitting 364‑3512 Property Maintenance/Zoning — for Complaints 364‑3540

The Bureau of Administrative Adjudication (BAA) was created in 1994 to handle the numerous cases pertaining to health, housing, environmental, fire code and historic district violations. Said violations are issued primarily by the Jefferson Parish Department of Inspection and Code Enforcement (DICE).


DICE inspects property and upon finding a violation posts the property with a violation notice and mails a copy via US Mail of the violation to the owner. Violation notices are sent to the property address in violation and to the owners address as provided in the Parish Assessor’s records. If the violation is not cleared by the compliance date noted, the violation and/or no extension requested and granted, the matter will be set for hearing. If on the second inspection the violation is cleared, no further action is taken. Only hearing notices are sent via certified mail.

No person is allowed to talk to the Hearing Officer about a case without the participation of all parties involved. If you have questions, you may contact code enforcement, the parish attorney, or the BAA paralegal or staff.

State statutes and the JPCO regulates the procedures used by the BAA. For example, hearings are conducted in the accordance with the rules of evidence set forth by the Administrative Procedure Act (LSA-R.S. ART. 49:950 et seq.) There are no pre-trial conferences. Continuances are only granted for good cause. However, contact with the parish attorney handling the matter prior to the hearing is encouraged.

On the day of hearing, the parish puts on its case which may include testimony from witness(es) and/or various exhibits. The property owner then has the opportunity to ask questions, make statements and submit any exhibits he/she may have to support his/her case.

If an owner fails to attend a hearing or otherwise have an authorized representative present and proper notice was issued and no continuance requested and granted, the BAA may proceed with the hearing in the owners absence.

The Hearing Officer takes great care to ensure those property owners without counsel understand the procedure and are able to present his/her case adequately.

Decisions rendered by the Hearing Officer may be appealed to the 24th Judicial District Court.

What are my rights?

Property owners have the following rights in connection with their hearing:

  1. to present evidence on relevant issues including witnesses, documents and photographs,
  2. to be represented by an attorney at his/her expense,
  3. and such other rights as granted by law.

Where to find our Code Enforcement offices:

East Bank office 1221 Elmwood Park Blvd. Suite 101 Jefferson, LA 70123

West Bank office 400 Maple Ave. Harvey, LA 70058


  • A licensed plumber is required to install a new hot water heater.
  • A building permit is required to erect or replace a carport, shed, or fence.
  • A licensed electrician is required to perform any electrical work.
  • A Jefferson Parish Home Builder’s license is required to perform any work which value exceeds $2,500.00. A homeowner is allowed to take out one permit every 12 months where the value of work is over $2,500.00.
  • A licensed mechanical contractor is required to install or replace any a/c condenser.
  • You are allowed to hold two garage sales in one year, and a permit is required.
  • A property survey is required to obtain most building permits.
  • No construction is allowed over or encroaching upon any servitude.
  • Commercial permits can be tracked on the Internet at
  • To start a new business you can contact permits to obtain a new business start-up packet at 736‑6957

Most frequently issued violations:

NOTE: The below list is not the entire ordinance.

Sec. 19–16 Trash, debris, junk, refuse, abandoned property prohibited on public and private property. The general rule is that only items allowed in a yard is a BBQ pit, patio furniture and other items such as flower pots and a garbage can. All other items such as ice chests, ladders and/or scraps of wood or siding must be placed inside. Vehicles which are not operable or can not operate legally on a highway can not be stored on a property longer than 24 hours unless enclosed in a garage. No vehicle can display an item “for sale,” “for rent,” or other like display on private or public property.

Sec. 19–18. Weeds, grass, other vegetation. The general rule is that grass, weeds, vines or other vegetation can not exceed a height of twelve (12) inches.

Sec. 36–161. Parking, Stopping and Standing Prohibitions. It shall be unlawful for any person to park or cause to be parked any truck, trailer, bus, or oversized and/or commercial vehicle on any street, public roadway, public right-of-way, or sidewalk area immediately adjacent to a residence or property classified as a residentially zoned property. Exceptions are found in 36–161 and 40–661.

Sec. 40–92. Permitted Uses (In an R-1-A zone). – Recreational equipment may be parked or stored on private property in an enclosed structure or behind the front structure line, can not be used for living on the property, or be used for storage. However, temporary parking for unloading and loading is allowed. – Storing business/commercial items is not allowed. – Persons not related by blood or marriage can not reside together in an R1A zone.

Sec. 40–821. Certificates. Any change of use or occupancy of a property requires a certificate from Code Enforcement to verify the use or occupancy is allowed in such zone.

Sec. 8–2-101.2.3 Permitting and/or Inspection. Permits are required for all major repairs to fences and buildings. Electrical, mechanical and/or plumbing filings may also be required. (It is important that the building permit is visible on the property until a final inspection/use & occupancy certificate is issued. Verify with your contractor that all permits and filings have been completed and are posted.)

Sec. 8–2-101.3.7 Maintenance. All buildings, structures, electrical, gas, mechanical and plumbing systems, both existing and new, and all parts thereof, shall be maintained in a safe and sanitary, code-complying condition, maintained in good working order.

Sec. 8–3-108. Survey and Street Address. Every property owner shall post and maitain in a permanent manner, in a conspicuous place clearly visible from the street, the property address in a color which contrasts from the color of the house so that it is clearly visible from the street. The address must be posted a minimum of five (5) feet above grade and comply with all other size provisions. i.e. — The numbers must be a minimum of 4″ if the structure is not more than 40′ from the street. See entire provisions for additional details.


What is considered "junk and debris?" Items not incidental to outdoor use. The parish allows patio furniture, BBQ pits, a garbage can with a lid, and other miscellaneous items in the yard. The parish does not allow building materials, tools, lawn supplies, automobile parts, buckets, mops and other such items to be left in the yard.

Can I pay fines and/or hearing costs with cash, debit or credit card? Currently, BAA only takes checks, money orders or cashiers checks. Credit and debit cards will be accepted in Fall 2009. (obviously, this is outdated information!)

When can I pay the fine and/or hearing costs? Fines can be paid within the period ordered by the Hearing Officer including the day of the hearing.

Why did the parish come cut my grass/pick up the trash? The owner either did not comply with the order of the court within the remediation period and did not request an extension (from the Parish Attorney’s Office) or the owner failed to request a re-inspection within the time allowed for remediation thus the violation was not cleared.

Why did the parish file a lien? Liens are filed in the Jefferson Parish Mortgage and Conveyance Office (JPMCO) once a hearing is held and an order rendered. If fines and/or hearing costs are assessed and/or the violations were not cleared at the time of hearing, a lien will be filed. Upon payment of all monies due and clearance of remaining violations, the parish will send the owner a release which must be filed in the JPMCO to release the lien. The cost to file the release is at the expense of the property owner with said fee determined by the Jefferson Parish Clerk of Court.

Where can I get a copy of the Jefferson Parish Ordinances? Ordinances can be obtained or review at the Eastbank and Westbank Regional Libraries, on the parish website at and at which is a national database of local laws.

“12 Friends of Blight”

These 12 activities are prohibited by the Jefferson Parish Code of Ordinances and are considered to have an adverse impact on the parish and the integrity of residential zonesOperation of a business in a residential zone.

  1. Operation of a business in a residential zone.
  2. Oversized vehicles, commercially marked vehicles, trailers, RV’s, mobile homes and/or boats parked or stored in the yard.
  3. Parking of a vehicle on a right-of-way and/or grass/green space.
  4. Blocking sidewalks and/or driveways.
  5. Junk and/or debris in the yard and/or items which do not belong in the yard.
  6. Storing or parking of inoperable, idsmantled, vehicles (including vehicles with expired or no brake tag or license plate).
  7. Grass and/or weeds over 12 inches.
  8. Repairs to vehicles in yards or driveways.
  9. Garbage placed on the curb more than 24 hours before pick up and more than 24 hours after pick up.
  10. Posting of signs on public right-of-ways or commercial signs in residential yards.
  11. Physical exterior of structures in disrepair including fences.
  12. Premises identification — No address on structure or not visible from the street.